I know right … that’s a big promise to live up to … I mean the THE best ever? Are you kidding me? No. No, I’m not. This is by far THE BEST EVER dairy free and gluten free carrot cake that you will ever taste. It’s an incredible combination of moist, crumbly, melt in your mouth cake with that BAM of sweetness in the dairy free cream cheese icing. That’s right … I said DAIRY FREE! This cake is by far my favourite cake of all time. And let me tell you, I’ve tasted A LOT of gluten free cakes. Cake is my thing. I will take this delicious carrot cake over pretty much every other cake on the planet. Take note Honey, this is my favourite! (My birthday is coming up … hehehe) This is also a favourite of Ollie and Charlotte’s as well. They would even choose this cake over chocolate fudge cake … if that doesn’t say it all then I don’t know what would! You can also switch it up and alternate baking times to make yummy gluten free, dairy free cupcakes! But, don’t take my word on all this deliciousness … make it today and let me know how much you love it!
Best Ever Gluten & Dairy Free Carrot Cake
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Line two 9″ cake pans (or one 9 x 13″) with parchment paper.
In the bowl of your mixer cream the following and set aside:
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup canola oil
In a separate bowl mix and set aside:
2 cups Jenny’s All Purpose Flour* + 1 tsp xanthan gum
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp all spice
1 tbsp cinnamon
Next, using your mixer add the flour mixture to your wet ingredients. Alternate with 1/2 cup coconut milk (+ 1/2 tbsp vinegar). (or your favourite dairy free milk).
Add in 1 tbsp vanilla extract. Be careful to not over mix.
Fold in 1 cup raisins and shredded carrots.
Pour batter into pans and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Then reduce your oven heat to 325 F and bake another 5 minutes. Remove cakes from oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
While your cake is baking you can make your frosting.
Cream together 3 tbsp Earth Balance Soy Free Spread
and 1 package Daiya Cream Cheese Style Spread using your hand mixer.
Add in 2 cups confectioners sugar slowly, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp Wilton butter extract.
Once your cakes are completely cooled you can frost them. Sprinkle 1 cup chopped walnuts over your cake.
Note: You can also make these into delicious cupcakes. This recipe will make approximately 20 large cupcakes. Alter your baking to 18 minutes at 350 F.
Now sit down and enjoy, but try not to eat the whole cake!
Sending you loads of gluten free love,
* Jenny’s All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups Jenny’s All Purpose Flour + 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp all spice
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- ½ cup coconut milk (or your favourite dairy free milk) + ½ tbsp vinegar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 package Daiya Cream Cheese Style Spread
- 3 tbsp Earth Balance Soy Free Spread
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp wilton butter extract
- 1 cup walnuts chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line two 9 inch cake pans or one 9 x 13 cake pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of your mixer cream the sugar, oil, eggs. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix Jenny’s All Purpose Flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and all spice. Set aside.
- Shred your carrots. (I like to use my food processor for this – it’s easy and quick!)
- Using your mixer, slowly mix in your flour mixture with your wet ingredients. Alternating with the coconut milk. Mix until fully combined but be sure to not over mix.
- Fold in your raisins and shredded carrots.
- Pour batter into your pans and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Reduced temperature to 325 F and bake another 5 minutes. Remove cakes from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.
- While your cake is baking you can make your frosting.
- Cream together your Earth Balance Soy Free Spread and Daiya Cream Cheese Style Spread using your hand mixer. Add in the confectioners sugar slowly and vanilla extract.
- Once your cakes are completely cooled you can frost them. Sprinkle chopped walnuts over your cake.
- Note: You can also make these into delicious cupcakes. This recipe will make approximately 20 large cupcakes. Alter your baking to 18 minutes at 350 F.